Before you can import goals from Analytics to AdWords, you have to first link your AdWords and Google Analytics accounts. This is sometimes referred to as auto-tagging because the link automatically tags AdWords. You can create the link from either your Google Analytics or Google AdWords account.
How to Link Your Google Analytics and Google AdWords Accounts
Linking from AdWords
- In the top right corner of your AdWords menu bar, click the circle that looks like a gear.
From the drop down menu that appears, click Linked accounts.
- From the displayed list of Google products you can link to, click Google Analytics.
- If your AdWords account is already linked to your Google Analytics account, and auto-tagging is already enabled, your screen will look something like this:
- If your accounts aren’t yet linked, you screen will look something like this:
- To link your Google AdWords and Analytics accounts, click the Enable for this account button. You’ll see this message:
Here are the instructions Google provides: https://support.google.com/AdWords/answer/3095550?hl=en&authuser=0
Linking from Google Analytics
- From your Google Analytics account click Admin in the top navigation menu. Three columns will open.
- In the middle column you’ll see Product Linking options. Click the Google AdWords option, and then follow the instructions.
Importing Goals from Google Analytics to Google AdWords
- Log into your Google AdWords Account.
- On the top navigation menu select Tools.
- From the dropdown menu that appears, click Conversions. The Conversion actions screen will open.
- On the Conversion action screen, in the far left panel, click Google Analytics.
- A screen opens that lists all of your Google Analytics goals. Check the boxes of the goals you want to import. Just pick the most important ones; limit yourself to one or two goals.
- Click the Import button at the bottom of the screen.